Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Taste of Home Pineapple Beef Stir Fry




Okay here is the link to the original recipe:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/pineapple-beef-stir-fry

I thought that this dish was really pretty much delicious. The commissary is known to not have fantastic meat so I think that would have made a big difference. 

I was unable to find beef round steak, so I improvised and got small steaks (and they were boneless so I figure that worked.) This worked okay but it was more difficult to slice than what I would have liked.

The recipe says to marinate the meat for about 30 min in the refrigerator. This worked fine but I think it would have been super delicious if you do some prep and let it marinate over night.

I chopped all of the ingredients while it was marinating so that it would be quick and ready to go into stir fry. I didn't have fresh green beans and just used about half of a can (they still tasted great) and I think next time I would definitely add more green chilies. 
1 Tablespoon made us both go "There are chilies in this?"
So next time I'm cutting up a few more.


Also, I didn't want to go and buy cornstarch just for this meal so I used flour instead. (Use 2 tsp of flour as a substitute)
I ended up browning the meat a little longer, more like 7 minutes. Maybe this was a mistake but my meat didn't appear to be done by the time I was supposed to be removing it. I also poured out some juices, so make sure to really drain the marinade from the meat, because it got pretty bubbly and wild on the stove.

It went great over white rice but to make it more healthy I would definitely go with brown rice. Brown rice is more calorie friendly and this meal would be decently healthy- it's chock full of protein and paired with a fast burning carb (optimal for fat burning diet!)

Super delicious. Only took about 40 min total for prep, marinade, and cooking.