Sunday, September 6, 2015

To Japan and Back Part 1: Yokosuka

Alright so it's been a while again since my last post...the blog kind of got pushed to the bottom of the priority list. August was an absolutely insane month! I finally had my mid deployment break down...I was so stressed out about everything going on in life that it was just ridiculous.

The biggest lesson I am continuously confronted with is that nothing is ever in our control. Just gotta sit back and let things happen right? Everything has a way of working itself out. We are now in the homestretch of deployment and I couldn't be more excited. The port call we visited was stressful to get to (the dates changed 3 or 4 times....) so three canceled flights, rebooked hotel rooms, refunds and insurance claims (thank god for travel insurance!) and one last minute ticket purchase later.....we made it to Japan. 

And it was so worth it. I hadn't seen my husband in 102 days and hadn't had any form of contact with him in 67. (But whose counting?) It's safe to say I cried like a ridiculous person when I saw him- absolute relief is the only way I can describe it. He really is my sanity.

After much needed time together and a ton of conversation (we can talk for hours on end) we did get to do some exploring of Yokosuka and ventured up to Tokyo. There is so much to see in Japan and I know we barely scratched the surface, but it was a wonderful cultural experience, and I have never felt so "american" and out of place in my life!

It was fantastic.


These are just a few sights around Yokosuka. The Daiei was across the street from the hotel which is where I spent a good amount of time wandering around.








This was a really beautiful park that was along the pier. It had a bunch of benches and a fountain and overlooked the water. A very serene place to be! 















I'm not sure what this is...but I pointed at the menu and ordered it. (I really need to learn another language.) It was some sort of egg and cabbage mix with a sauce, and then very thinly sliced meat of some sort on top. It was pretty good, but a little disconcerting when the meat started moving.

Not sure how or why that happened....

But this made up for it after. Boba tea (took a minute to acquire a taste to the tapioca balls, but these drinks are everywhere in Hawaii too. Seriously everything Japanese is squishy in texture...) Basically was like a delicious watery chocolate milk shake. Much more my style!



















And this is the view from the best Starbucks ever (Our first sunny day! It was very rainy when we visited.) But seriously this Starbucks was beautiful. Two levels of comfort overlooking the water.




Which reminds me....McDonald's is an extremely nice place in Tokyo (at least the one we visited was. Yes....we went to McD's.) I was very impressed with how nice it was! Very upscale.



The one word I know =) Which is very ironic considering we always make fun that when the Japanese visit here the one word they know is "thank youuuuu". Turns out I'm the same way!
"Arigatoooo."