Thursday, March 12, 2015

Taste of Home Cilantro Lime Cod

This recipe has ended up being something I have made several times!
For anybody that knows me, I know that may seem like a shocker because I have been an avid seafood hater for my entire life.
However! Now that I have moved to an island I figured I should start attempting to change my taste buds at least a little bit- turns out I actually do like fish (I've even eaten some sushi) and this recipe has been a pretty solid go-to. Plus, fish is so good for you, and makes for a great low calorie and high lean protein meal.

I'm sure you can make it as fancy as you want, but I've been able to buy the cheap frozen fillets for 6 bucks and have it at least for 3-4 meals.



Here's the link to the recipe:

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cilantro-lime-cod

Now in the past I have used cod but in this example I decided to use Tilapia instead. My husband liked the cod better (I liked the Tilapia) but honestly I think a white fish is probably going to taste very similar.
If you prep the fish a little ahead of time and let it marinate for a bit its even tastier- though typically you prep it and throw it in the oven (only takes about 45 min to complete. which is a bonus!)





Here I went ahead a laid out the Tilapia in the foil. You can wrap them individually or put them all on one big sheet- the result comes out just the same. 



Saute the garlic and onion, then stir in cumin and spread over the fillets. 

In this case I used onion powder instead so only the garlic was sauteed. (I also vastly underestimated how much I was going to need so I need a little extra garlic powder. I do love garlic!)




Chop up some cilantro and sprinkle over the top ( I also can never have enough cilantro) and then squeeze the lime juice across the fillets. Leave the limes in there, and after drizzling with melted butter, fold over the tin foil so it makes a nice little packet.



It bakes at 375* for about 35-40 min. Typically while this is baking I have made cilantro lime rice to go with it (just make some rice and toss in limes and cilantro while its boiling to get some nice flavor) but last night we changed it up. I made some whole grain pasta with cheesey alfredo sauce.
The fish is about 118 calories for a 4 oz. piece and 18 g of protein. Whole grain pasta made for a delicious pairing, a great carb fix, and is a fast burning carb to break down the proteins!

All in all pretty healthy.





But most importantly, pair it with a delicious white wine.







This has become one of my absolute favorites (yes....the bottle is empty.)
It is a blend of riesling, pinot grigio, and chardonnay. It is a masterpiece <3